Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0
Total Time: 15 minutes
– Chilled Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half)
– 3-4 Ripe Avocados (sliced/dice)
– 1 Red Onion (optional)
– Juice from Half a Lemon
– Olive Oil
– Handful of Chopped Cilantro (some use ~1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley)
– Pepper (if desired, to taste)
Wash chilled tomatoes, cut in half.
Slice/Dice peeled avocadoes.
Wash and chop cilantro/parsley.
Wash and cut onion if desired.
Toss together in a bowl, squeeze half lemon on top, add pepper to taste and drizzle with olive oil.
This is an easy, delicious summer side!! Great for a side dish at a barbecue or an easy week night salad.You can also swap the Cilantro for Basil, add some Feta Cheese or Mozzarella and Cucumber for a Mediterranean twist!
Hello and Happy Summer! With Memorial Day coming up this weekend, I figured it would be worth talking about some GREAT options for grilling out that are also great choices that won’t break the bank if you are trying to watch your carbs…
– Burgers or Hot Dogs wrapped in lettuce wraps are always a great option. Also, Healthy Life, make a low carb bun that is a great option as well.
– Any other kind of meat: steaks, porkchops, BBQ, shrimp, etc. on the grill is a GREAT choice
Here are a few “twists” on classic side dishes for Back yard BBQs
12 eggs, hard boiled
1/3 cup regular mayonnaise
2 T prepared mustard (yellow or brown)
A few drops of hot sauce
Salt (about 1/4 teaspoon, or to taste)
Pepper to taste
2 T chopped chives (not totally necessary, but good)
Paprika, sweet, hot, or smoked, depending on your taste
INSTRUCTIONS: Mix all dressing ingredients together & then mix in cabbage. Balance the lemon juice & sweetener to your own taste
SPICY SWEET POTATO CHIPS
- 2 sweet potatoes (washed & dried)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut potatoes in ¼ inch thick slices.
- In large bowl, add oil & seasoning and then toss potato slices to coat.
- Place single layer on baking sheets & bake until lightly browned & crisp on both sides.
Veggies and Dips are always a great “go-to” as are big salads with creamy dressings like Ranch or Bleu Cheese.
Fruit this time of year is wonderful–strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries topped with whipped cream and a few almonds are a great end to a great meal!
HAPPY GRILLING. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! HAPPY LOW-CARBING!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Ok folks, I don’t know about you all but PIZZA is a FAV in my house!!! and most of my patients do NOT like the idea of giving this up when they take on a low carb lifestyle….GOOD NEWS….you don’t have to! There are several recipes for low carb crust which you can find by googling, looking at Lindas Low Carb recipes and I think even Wellness Mama. Most of the low carb crusts are made out of cream cheese and eggs believe it or not, but if you don’t have time for that, I have a simplier suggestion! Use the low carb tortillas! They actually crisp up pretty nicely and you can pick just about whatever you would like to go on top! I will share a few of my favs below but feel free to get creative! This is a great idea for a quick and easy dinner option! and my 15 mo old LOVES them; that’s always a win in my book!
(depends on your choice of pizza but I will share mine :))
low carb tortillas (# depends on how many individual pizzas you are making for family) I use Extreme Wellness High Fiber Low carb wraps (keep the wraps < or = to 7 net carbs (total carbs- fiber= net carbs, and no more) my mom prefers the Carb Balance MISSION wraps.
pizza sauce (I buy Kroger brand which is 3 net carbs for 1/4 cup)- just check the sauces and pick the lowest in net carbs- 1/4 cup is plenty to cover
turkey pepperonis (nitrite free preferred if available)
spread pizza sauce on low carb tortilla, then sprinkle cheese to cover , and place pepporonis on top. Sprinkle Italian seasoning to taste! Makes the flavor POP!
Pop in oven for 10-15 minutes at 425-450 or until desired crispiness. Use pizza stone for additional crunch! :)
Ingredients: olive oil, mozzarella cheese, chicken and bacon, and italian seasoning.
spread olive oil, sprinkle white mozzarella cheese to cover, then place chicken and bacon on top (we usually use left over grilled chicken from teh week or pull off rotisserie if in a hurry). I also like to cook a pound of bacon at the start of the week so that’s available for quick and easy options. Again, sprinkle Italian seasoning to taste.
Spinach would be a good addition to this “white pizza”
Cooking instructions are the same!
Of course you can add any veggie like peppers, onions, olives, avocados, spinach, tomatoes, etc. If you have a fav pizza from Mellow Mushroom, Snappy Tomato, Jets, Papa Johns, or Papa Murphys, just recreate with your low carb wraps. Most ingredients I keep around the house on a continual basis, so when we decide its pizza night its 15-20 min and dinner is on the table! Just use whatever ingredients you have available or left over for the week!
** Sometimes we split a pizza and add a spinach salad with it! :) yummy!!! OR if you are really hungry you might have both!:) Hope you all enjoy as much as my family and I do. See, I told you, no reason to give up pizza on a low carb lifestyle! :) Have fun making your own and getting the kids involved!
An easy one-pan skillet meal with delicious flavor and aroma. Kids love this!
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Main
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground beef (or venison, buffalo, etc)
- 1 (15 ounce) can or jar of diced tomatoes (organic, no BPA), drained or 2 medium fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or more to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans
- 1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and garlic powder (or more to taste)
- Melt butter in a large skillet and add diced onion. Cook three minutes or until starting to become translucent.
- Add ground meat and cook until well browned. While cooking, add curry powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and garlic salt.
- Once meat is browned, add the diced tomatoes (drain off liquid first!), peeled and diced sweet potatoes, green beans and any additional spices if needed.
- Cover pan and simmer 20+ minutes or until sweet potatoes have softened. Check after ten minutes and add a couple tablespoons of water or chicken broth if needed.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe modified and taken from: http://wellnessmama.com/5228/pakistani-kima/
*Fast and tasty recipe that is low carb and super tasty!!