Now that it's officially football time in Tennessee it's time for some healthy hosting and tailgating foods! Chili is my favorite go-to when hosting a football get together but the beans can make it too high in carbohydrate. This is a simple, healthy recipe perfect for fall! Feel free to add or take away ingredients to taste and spice as desired.
Author: Peace Love and Low Carb
Recipe type: Crockpot
- 2½ lbs. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Medium Red Onion – Chopped – Divided
- 4 Tbs. Minced Garlic
- 3 Large Ribs of Celery – Diced
- ¼ Cup Jalapeno Slices
- 1 – 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
- 1 – 14.5 oz. Can Tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 – 14.5 oz. Can Stewed Tomatoes with Mexican Seasoning
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Tbs. Chili Powder
- 2½ Tbs. Cumin – Mounded
- 2 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Cayenne
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Heat slow cooker on low setting.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, half of the onions, 2 Tbs. minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Once the beef is browned, drain excess grease from pan.
- Transfer ground beef mixture to slow cooker. Add remaining onions, garlic, celery, jalapenos, tomato paste, tomatoes and chilies (with liquid), stewed tomatoes (with liquid), Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, black pepper, and bay leaf.
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined. Cook on low 6-8 hours.