My hunny originally made this with a side of spaghetti squash for Valentines day and it was SO yummy! We made it again last week with a side of asparagus. He chopped up onions and peppers before and sautéed them in coconut oil on the stove before adding them as toppings! We had leftovers and it reheated well for lunch the next day! Who said chicken has to be boring?!
Author: The Amercia's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
- 3 cups tomato sauce (one 24-26 oz jar or homemade)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (6-8 oz each), trimmed (we cut ours in half to bake)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 oz mozzarella, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 oz pepperoni (preferably nitrite/ preservative free)
- *optional: sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, other pizza toppings of your choosing
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread the tomato sauce in a 9x 13 baking dish.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Spread the Parmesan in a shallow dish, then coat the chicken with Parmesan. Lay the chicken on top of the tomato sauce and bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, pepperoni and other desired toppings over the chicken. Increase the oven temperature to 475 and continue to bake (~5 minutes) until the cheese melts and the chicken is 160 degrees on an instant- read thermometer (can purchase online or at a local grocery or anywhere with kitchen supplies)