Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Author: Welness Mama (www.wellnessmama.com)
- You Need per person/serving:
- 1 medium zucchini
- ¼ pound ground beef, bison, turkey, sausage, etc (1 lb/family of 4)
- 2 oz of roasted red peppers (usually in a jar or can- 1 can per family of 4)
- ¼ of a green pepper, chopped
- ¼ of an onion, chopped
- ½ egg (can use the whole egg for 1 person, or up to 3 eggs for family of 4)
- Spices: oregano, salt, pepper, basil, garlic, chili powder, etc
- tallow, lard, butter or coconut oil for cooking
- optional: Cheese to top
- Wash zucchini and put it whole and unpeeled into a large pot of water
- Bring to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes until somewhat tender.
- While that is boiling, heat the oil in a large skillet and cook peppers and onion.
- After veggies have cooked for 5 minutes, add meat. Cook until browned.
- Once zucchini are cooked, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place zucchini on large baking sheet. Add the scooped out seeds to the meat and veggies mixture.
- Add the roasted red peppers & the egg(s) to the (somewhat cooled) meat mixture and stir well.
- Evenly divide the meat and veggie mixture and “stuff” it into the zucchini boats.
- Top each with cheese (optional)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until well heated and cheese starts to bubble.
Loved these!! I used butter, ground beef, and shredded cheese. I didn't have roasted red peppers so I used a red bell pepper and added it to the veggie skillet. The roasted red peppers may give it a little more zing! I add leftover filling after "stuffing" my zucchini boats so I put the rest in a muffin tin and baked them as well to make crustless meat muffins. These reheated well so you could make ahead of time and refridgerate!