- 1 lb. pork sausage (I use Swaggerty’s Natural, purchased at Kroger for about $2.50/roll)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I recommend 2% or “reduced fat”)
- 2 slices of bread cubed (I use Healthy Life Whole Wheat it is only 5 net carbs/slice, purchase at many grocery stores)
- 6 eggs (Yes-the whole egg!)
- 1 cup milk (I used Almond Breeze unsweetened original almond milk and it was surprisingly tasty in this recipe!!)
- 3/4-1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Brown sausage and drain
- Toss sausage with cheese and bread
- Place in greased shallow baking dish (7×11)
- Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper-then pour over sausage mixture
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes
Recipe credit: Big Oven app, iphone.
Serves approx. 12. About 1 net carb/serving (if using the ingredients listed above).
My review: This is such an easy recipe. I prepared it the night before and put it in the fridge for our company who was staying overnight with us-then just popped it in the oven while everyone was getting ready in the morning. It was a tasty and easy dish to prepare. The best part= about 1 net carb/serving and loaded with protein so it keeps you full and avoids the 10:30am carbohydrate hangover :-) My husband appreciated the leftovers as it was also easy for him to take in a dish and heat up at work when he was on the go.