Italian Wedding Soup
Recipe Credit: www.wellnessmama.com 2013
You Need per person/serving: (FN= Family Number)
• ground turkey (or other ground meat) (approx 1/4 lb per person)
• spices: garlic powder, salt, pepper and basil
• 1/4 of an onion, diced (xFN)
• 1 large carrot, thinly sliced or diced (xFN)
• 1/2 of a zucchini, diced (xFN)
• 1 cup of fresh Kale, chopped (xFN)
• 1.5 cups of chicken broth or stock, homemade if possible (xFN)
• spices to taste: I used 1 tsp each of oregano, basil, garlic powder, thyme, salt, pepper, and
turmeric for 4 servings
• fat or oil of choice for sauteing
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Make meatballs by mixing ground turkey (or other ground meat) with desired spices and making into small (bitesized) meatballs. Place on a greased baking sheet and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes or
until cooked through.
3. While those are cooking, melt the fat or oil of choice (I used tallow) in the large pot you’ll be
cooking the soup in.
4. Saute all the diced and sliced vegetables in the oil until starting to soften.
5. Add the chicken broth or stock and seasonings.
6. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
7. Remove meatballs from oven and add to soup.
8. Optional (can top with parmesan cheese or fresh sour cream).
Review: This was my first time eating kale and I really enjoyed the soup! I used unsalted plain butter (dont use margarine) to grease my baking sheets. I used 2 tbsp coconut oil (serving 4 in my family) for the sauteing oil because I dont have tallow. I didn’t have turmeric at home so I left it out. This was great for helping to clear the sinuses and coat a sore throat! Let me know your thoughts if you make it!!